Mr. Hart's Cinema Studies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garden of Eden similar to God Father

5 posters

Go down

Garden of Eden similar to God Father Empty Garden of Eden similar to God Father

Post  chuck m Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:17 pm

the garden on Eden is similar to the God Father, because in both stories, there is someone loosing their innocence. in the garden of Eden, its Adam and Eve and in the god father its Michael Corleone. Adam and Eve loose their innocence by eating the forbidden fruit, while Michael looses his by killing and becoming head of the family business.

chuck m

Back to top Go down

Garden of Eden similar to God Father Empty Re: Garden of Eden similar to God Father

Post  Tony V Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:49 pm

I agree with Chuck in the godfather being similar to the garden of eden. Another way could be the snake in the garden of eden told Adam and Eve to eat the fruit, where in the godfather Michael was told by his brother to go with the plan and kill someone. In both ways someone lost their innocence, and now they can never get that back.

Tony V

Back to top Go down

Garden of Eden similar to God Father Empty Re: Garden of Eden similar to God Father

Post  Michelle Lyn Luna Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:04 am

I agree that the two stories seem similar in the general sense of loss of innocence, but I think there are key aspects the both of you are neglecting that make the two stories severely different.
In terms of what they did, both Adam and Eve and Michael made a choice against what they knew was acceptable. However, Adam and Eve, despite having been told of the consequences, probably did not fully comprehend the massiveness of the decision they were making. Michael, on the other hand, grew up in the crime family and knew very well what would happen should he make the choice to join them in crime. Adam and Eve made a common mistake of childishly defying authority, while Michael made a well thought-out decision to join the family business.
Additionally, Tony's reference to the idea that the serpent and Michael's brother being similar characters in the common storylines --as the characters who influenced the evil-- cannot really be compared as such. The serpent was the physical representation of Satan the Devil, but even if Adam and Eve did not recognize that much, this serpent was a strange, unidentified creature they had never before encountered coming along telling them to defy their lord. Michael's brother was his brother, and while he was a rather negative influence in Michael's life, he was someone Michael knew and trusted. Thus, Michael's decisions to follow along with his brother are somewhat understandable, trust in blood and nonsense. Because of the difference in the relationships between the tempter and the tempted, and the nature of the decision, I do not feel these two situations can be compared beyond the basic idea of 'there is temptation of evil, the temptation is taken, innocence is lost.'

Michelle Lyn Luna

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:47 pm

It IS true that Michael came back from war. This is certainly an event that would de-purified (impurified? de-innocented?) him. He was probably mentally a man.

Admin
Admin

http://mrhartscinemastudies.greatestboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:49 pm

I'd like to propose a strange idea that Don "Vito" Corleone has a god-complex, a form of intense egotism, that makes him the central "god" figure in the garden of eden analogy; in this way he is setting up his own fake garden of eden, and writing his own code of morality. "Women and children [in my garden of eden] can be careless, but not men." See also: Michael closing off his wife in the final scene. Oh, and lying to her so that she can stay in this innocent cocoon.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Michelle Lyn Luna Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:27 pm

If we go with that new frame of reference of what the garden is in terms of The Godfather, I feel the two become even less similar of stories. If Don Vito Corleone is God, the Don's moralities and crime rules are the laws of God, and Michael is Adam, then shouldn't it start out with the idea that Michael is already part of the crime family, rather than he joins into it? Michael denies his father and the family business early on, only growing to accept and take control of it throughout the film. Adam, on the other hand, started out in the perfect life his Father had created for him, and grew to defy it and leave his father, as opposed to take his place.
It doesn't seem to work as well, or am I understanding the new comparison wrong?

Michelle Lyn Luna

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:19 am

I can definitely see your point... that the new scenario i put forth would destroy the whole central conflict (aka the point) of the Garden of Eden narrative. However, I was using the story to try and infer the ground rules about what the story says the meaning of life is. A deity's main goal in creating humanity here was to set up a playground, so to speak, so that mankind could frolic in ignorant happiness. He, then, would protect his creation by defending it from evil and the knowledge of evil. Now the "Don" does things that remind me of this. First of all, he does not abide by the laws of society, which makes him his own judge of morality. He creates his own arena with its own rules. At this point, the central aim of his life is to wage war in the world in order to finance the enlargement of his homestead-- a place of ignorant happiness. "your father never talked business at the table." "Women and children can be careless, not men." "I work my whole life, I don't apologize, to take care of my family." "I never wanted this for you." The reason I think that the Don has a god-complex, and is not analogous to God in some symbolic sense, is that he ultimately fails in his life's mission. He fails to protect the ones he loves. His family is in shambles.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Chandler Piekarski Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:46 pm

I also agree with what Chuckie cited, The Garden of Eden and The Godfather can be compared by the characters losing their innocence. Adam and Eve being tricked by a the serphent into eating the forbidden fruit and then punished by god. In The Godfather, the innocence of Michael Coreleone is stripped due to the drastic downfall as Don Vito's heatlh failing and the death of Santino; Michael is forced to become the Godfather and is incharge of the family. Michael has to kill of the remaining crime families to maintain safety of his own. You can see that both Character arc's have fallen to have a negative effect on society.

Chandler Piekarski

Back to top Go down

Post  Michelle Lyn Luna Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:20 pm

In terms of creating a garden of ignorant happiness and that perspective, I can see many more similarities. Chuck and Tony brought up a more general comparison that seemed less accurate to me, and my mind was stuck in that interpretation.

Chandler, your interpretation makes it sound as though: a) Adam and Eve had absolutely not idea what they were doing, and b) Michael was forced into becoming the new Godfather. Neither was the case: Adam and Eve knew exactly what they were doing, and Michael made the active choice of pursuing crime before Santino even died. In both, the loss of innocence is, in some way, an active choice, not forced or tricked.

Michelle Lyn Luna

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down