Assignment 1

Go down

Assignment 1

Post  Jerry L on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:15 pm

I agree with the majority of what Victoria said, although I don't think that children are as "ignorant" as they may seem. Yes, children do not know any better on many subjects, such as early stages of violence, stealing, etc., and must be taught these values, but that is in the general culture of the world. There are many places in the world where children are forced to grow up and face adulthood at a very early age, such as underdeveloped countries, where they start working for their family or village as soon as they can walk and talk. The ignorance of children is possibly an arguable protective barrier that parents wrap their children up in. Adults know that being grown up stinks, and having all of these responsibilities thrust on you and sending you on your way, and they want to protect their children from that for as long as they can. Adulthood forces you to leave childhood innocence, but the innocence is the morals and obligations as a "correct" human being that are pushed on the children by parents. It's a big cycle of shielding by parents on their children, that in the most basic form is what creates childhood itself.

Jerry L

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Assignment 1

Post  Michael J on Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:36 pm

I agree with Jerry, it is like when children say i am going to parent my children differently than my parents parented me, and then when they have children they parent them very similar to how they were parented. then those children do the same thing and then a long chain of everyone repeating the same thing over and over again.

Michael J

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Assignment 1

Post  Ben Hart on Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:11 pm

Wondering out loud if the average parent aims to de-innocent-ize (can't think of a better word) their kids by 18. Thats at least when the government considers people out of the proverbial garden of eden.

Ben Hart

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alyssa Caputo on Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:24 pm

I think parents are actually trying to do the complete opposite. Parents, well mine at least, tried so hard to blind me from all of the "mature" and "adult-like" things they possibly could (except responsibility, dang!) But I think parents try so hard to keep their kids as child-like as they can for as long as possible. Most parents don't think being 18 really means anything. I don't know many parents that expect/want their children to be ready to be totally on their own the day they turn 18.

Alyssa Caputo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum