Mr. Hart's Cinema Studies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elderly Women

4 posters

Go down

Elderly Women Empty Elderly Women

Post  Lauren Ortega Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:33 pm

After the village has been burned down to the ground, the director chose to show an elderly woman laying in her bed smiling. When you first watch the scene you ask yourself, why is she smiling when everyone she knows just died? Well i think Elem Klimov is trying to show us how much people really don't grow up. The elderly woman looked very old and i don't think she knew exactly what was going on. When people get to that certain age, their minds tend to lose information causing them to act childish. Throughout the whole movie Elem Kilmov wanted us to see what growing up truly means, but also the downfalls it brings most people later in life.

Lauren Ortega

Back to top Go down

Elderly Women Empty Re: Elderly Women

Post  Tony V Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:53 pm

I agree with Lauren and how her smiling shows she really didn't understand what is going on, but it might also show that even in the hardest of times you still have to see the brightside and she might have been smiling because she is still alive.

Tony V

Back to top Go down

Post  michael perry Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:48 pm

Lauren Ortega wrote:After the village has been burned down to the ground, the director chose to show an elderly woman laying in her bed smiling. When you first watch the scene you ask yourself, why is she smiling when everyone she knows just died? Well i think Elem Klimov is trying to show us how much people really don't grow up. The elderly woman looked very old and i don't think she knew exactly what was going on. When people get to that certain age, their minds tend to lose information causing them to act childish. Throughout the whole movie Elem Kilmov wanted us to see what growing up truly means, but also the downfalls it brings most people later in life.
I agree with Lauren and Tony. That old people just kinda lose it.

michael perry

Back to top Go down

Post  Katie Alanis Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:24 am

I agree with Lauren as well. I think that Elem Klimov was trying to show the childlike expression coming off of the elderly woman; however, I am not to sure that he did it as a way to show that people never grow up, but more of him explaining people's regression as they get older. It could be that he was trying to show that the woman did have a childlike state of mind in that moment as a way to escape the tragedy happening around her.

Katie Alanis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum