Through the Bog

Go down

Through the Bog

Post  Michelle Lyn Luna on Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:41 pm

So, in the scene in which Florya and Glasha were trying to make it through the bog, we heard no talking. I may have just been seeing things, but it looked as though Glasha was moving her lips, as though she was, in fact, speaking. There were no subtitles, and there wasn't even the muffled hint of speaking, but I can't help but question that movement of her lips. People's lips move one way when they're breathing and gasping for breath while traveling through swamps, and another way when forming words. I am totally stretching this possibility, but for the entirety of that scene I kept thinking that the lack of sound we heard was representative of Florya's head at the time (You may notice in other posts that I'm rather set in this idea), so focused on finding his family that he tuned out the words. I imagined the scene as Florya trying to make it through the bog, totally convinced that his family was safe there, and Glasha was pulling him back, trying to tell him the truth before they got stuck in the bog or something. If you notice while they're going through, Glasha is constantly gripping Florya's clothes. I at first believed it to be because she needed help moving about the mucky waters, but she entered and exited just fine, causing me to question: Is she grabbing his clothes not to pull herself toward him, but to pull him back to her, back to the land, and just back in general? (Back to innocence, anyone?) At that point I considered the lack of words despite her moving lips, and imagined her shouting at him, telling him that his family isn't there, they aren't safe. I imagine her shouting these things, but not saying they're dead until the two get to drier land. We don't hear her shouting because Florya doesn't, all because he's tuning her out. Upon reaching the land and not finding his family, he starts to realize the inevitable, and his brain begins to listen to Glasha. At this point Glasha is exasperatedly shouting at Florya, trying finally to get the bad news through his head with 'They're dead!'
I really want to watch that scene again.
I don't know. I imagined the scene with the tuned-out-silence and the shouting and such. What did everyone else think of the scene (but not necessarily in terms of water, there's a new forum for those ideas)?

Michelle Lyn Luna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Through the Bog

Post  Aniesa on Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:27 am

So you noticed that as well? I swore i saw her lips moving as though speaking words and i half expected for the subtitles to atleast go -inaudible shouts- like how it would on shows in Netflix but it didn't so it also made me question as to why. There is no doubt in my mind that she was frantically trying to tell him that they weren't where he thought they were. It reminded me of when in the Godfather when michael was talking to this guy (i'm so bad with names) and he was speaking italian, the subtitles that normally displayed what they said didn't show, and thats because since Michael wasn't really fluent in the language, the lack of subtitles kinda gave us a look at how it was for him in his mind. So I think it was the same here, Florya tuning her out. Also, like Mr. Hart said during the scene, he was going through the bog with such intensity and determination because he was soo sure his family was on the other side, whereas Glasha knew it was a lost cause and wasn't that willing to go through. Which is also why i think she was shouting at him inaudibly. Same goes for when she was pulling at his clothes, originally i too thought she grabbed him so she could get help but the more she grabbed him the more i noticed it looked like she was /pulling/ him away from the direction he was going rather than pulling herself toward him. Also along with her pulling him, it looked like she started to shout at him more, possibly trying to gain his attention--but to no avail.

Aniesa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:55 am

It is at this point in the movie that I'm convinced the movie is about Florya's heart, mind, and soul. The director diliberately, of all the millions of plotlines available, decides to keep Florya in the dark about the massacre. My guess it that this allows the director to expand what would have taken a three seconds to show into a four minute bog scene; this way we can see the thought dawn on him for a longer period of time. I really like the thoughts on this post about the muffled voice. I think that, just like POV shots, these little tricks have a way of forcing us sympathize with the main character. I think that our brains go "why can't we hear Glasha? Oh yeah my ears are hurt... I mean Florya's ears are hurt!!"

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://mrhartscinemastudies.greatestboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michelle Lyn Luna on Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:40 pm

That comparison to Michael and Sollozzo is perfect! Yes, that's exactly it! The lack of subtitles to force the viewers into the same sense of understanding as the lead.
I agree that the general perception of the film may be changed. To me, this scene sorta makes the statement of 'this movie isn't about such-and-such, it's about Florya while such-and-such is going on.'

Michelle Lyn Luna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum