Glasha and her creepiness

Go down

Glasha and her creepiness

Post  Aniesa on Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:05 pm

Is it me, or does anyone just find her crazy with a bit of creepy on the side? From the minute i saw her I didn't like her. Then theres that scene when she just goes crazy and goes from telling Florya off to thinking out loud about that other guy (cant spell his name but the guy she followed). i don't know, what do you guys think? I kinda sort of really don't trust her.

Aniesa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Glasha and her creepiness

Post  Michelle Lyn Luna on Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:54 pm

She's a loon in one way or another, I agree. For the majority of the film thus far I've been sitting there watching her actions in sequence and can't help but wonder if she's the slightest bit clinically insane. She does randomly seem to shift personality/mood. The main thing I think of for that is in the forest, when she seemed to go to and from crying, laughing, nonsensically accusing Florya of being deaf or blind, and running around teasing Florya and taking his gun, all in a rather short period of time. Her mental stability has come to question in my brain, but then again, so has that of Florya as we have progressed further into the film.
I'm not sure how much I trust her. I don't really trust her fully, but I don't distrust her, if that makes sense. I definitely don't think she's too positive all the time, but not necessarily evil or anything like that [Especially since we've seen her try to comfort Florya].
Ooh, do you, or anyone really, have any idea on how old this creepy Glasha is? I'm really not sure what to think on that aspect. I'm not sure if it's really at all important, but I thought I'd ask around.

Michelle Lyn Luna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aniesa on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:06 pm

exactly! her mood swings are exactly what throws me off about her.

Her age though, i also have been thinking about. i got a feeling she may be older than Florya and might have more experience out on battle areas than he does. Just a thought.

Aniesa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michelle Lyn Luna on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:22 pm

The moodswings themselves are incredibly questionable, and I'm beginning to question if they are legitimate moodswings or whatever, or if she is acting so crazy on purpose? If it were the latter, I'm not sure what her reasonings would be --other than it just being caused by other psychological issues. I think in every situation I see Glasha as having some form of psychological imbalance.

Oh I think she's definitely older than Florya. Florya looks like a teenager at best though, and I think Glasha looks like she could be in her twenties. She's clearly been exposed to more war --actually, moreso the idea of war. Glasha did not respond well to the dead bodies, so she probably hasn't been exposed to battlefields as much. However, she seemed to know Kosach and that camp somewhat well, and she knew what to do when the bombs came, so we can assume she knows some about war, implying that she's had more time to experience it, and thus is older.

Michelle Lyn Luna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aniesa on Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:08 pm

More likely than not, any mental issues or disorders she has could obviously have been a result of the war. Like Mr. Hart said, 2 of the worst places to be during WWII was germany and Russia. Though i don't really know what her moodswings could be coming from. Perhaps she's doing it on purpose as a constant test for Florya? In war you never know how many people shes trusted and they turn around and betray her. But then again, he basically choked her and threw her in water when she told him his family was dead, but she still stood by his side afterward, so i'm not sure.

Theres no doubt she has some experience then. But i can't help but feel that she has been exposed to war on the field at some point. Because, yea, her reaction with bodies wasn't that good. But it was certainly better than one would expect. I feel like she has seened dead bodies like that before, perhaps from the village she came from or in her travels. Becuase i really find it hard for someone like her to /not/ see something like that but know her way around the camp and what to do in emergencys.

Aniesa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michelle Lyn Luna on Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:26 pm

Mental issues aren't always in response to something though, that must be considered even if the war is a likely cause. I don't know how much I'd think it all to be a test, though. Sure, people have probably betrayed her, but would she really expect such from a young, naive boy? I don't know. I feel like her staying by his side after he pushed her into the water is somewhat more relating to the fact that she doesn't seem to have anyone. Does she have a family? Where are they? All I think of is that she was with Kosach, but then they left for war, and she's been following Florya because, really, who else is there right now? Also, if she is older than him, she might see his innocence and naivety as that of a child. She might be staying with him because he seems like a little kid thrown into war, and who wouldn't try to help a little kid thrown into adversity? Lots to ponder about why they were sticking together.
She might know what to do in such cases the way we know how to act during a fire, a tornado, an intruder, etc. We're taught and trained how to act, in hopes that if terrible things like those happen we would know what to do and wouldn't panic. Maybe at the camp Glasha learned of the terrible aspects of war in addition to what to do. The shriek at the bodies was a very tame reaction, I would say, so yeah, she probably either a) has seen such before, or b) has been exposed to enough war to recognize that type of thing exists even without seeing it before, and her little reaction could be similar to if we saw an actual fire in school: we know to get away, and we know to try to stay calm, but a little bit of fear is bound to escape from us.
While we're on the topic of Glasha, how do you see her and Florya's relationship? Are they just trying to survive? Is friendship forming? Does she see him as a young child to try to shelter? And if so, as just a child, or perhaps like a little brother? Does he see her as a woman who needs protecting? I'm not sure how I think their relationship is developing, though certain scenes* throughout the film are making me feel like Glasha at least somewhat sees Florya as a child to shelter in one way or another. *[Her staying by his side, trying to calm him in scenes, hugging him as though for protection]

Michelle Lyn Luna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Aniesa on Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:15 am

you do have a point there, i mean, i guess if you kind of expect something to happen, you would be atleast a little bit mentally prepared for it. Just like how we are trained to be prepared for certain things, Glasha, through her experience, would have mentally prepared herself to see such a sight as dead bodies. So that would partially explain her tamed reaction. Also along with what you're saying about her wanting to protect Florya, maybe she tried not to react to badly outwardly so she wouldn't concern him. Because surely if she just freaked out, Florya might have stopped to see what was wrong and then end up seeing those bodies, which would no doubt result in a worse reaction than when she just told him they were dead or when the old man told him what had happened.

And i'm not to sure how to interpret their relationship. I guess i could see it as a brother sister type of deal, but that would require mutual trust, i think. Now this may be just me being biased, but like I said, i don't really trust her too much and i'm not sure if he trusts her either. But at the same time, they both really don't have anyone. And i remember earlier that when Florya made that hut thing in the forest, it looked like he was trying to protect her. Now it might just be him, as a boy becoming a man, feeling the need to protect those in distress (ie: women and children etc) that made him feel the need to protect her. But, like you said, she also feels the need to protect him. Probably because since she's older, she sees what remains of his innocence as a precious thing that must be protected at all costs. As such she will try her best to protect him from as much as she could, much like how a mother or older sister would. In her eyes, he is, indeed, just a young boy thrusted into the face of war. Which is also probably why she sticks around with him for so long. Shes probably been through so much and seen alot of bad things, that his innocence and ignorance to some things would be a type of bright light to her, that purity he holds could be something she treasures as well since she has seemed to lost her own innocence and purity.

Aniesa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:47 am

My gut tells me that the war has broken her capacity for love. It is almost as though she strives so hard to love and feel loved, but she doesn't know what it is supposed to look like. She is surrounded by men who are using lust--instead of love-- as a way of escape from the things that they've seen. She oscillates between trying this on Florya and being a motherly nurturer. I agree with you all that she seems a bit broken down emotionally/mentally. We get a bit of affirmation on this fact when we are obviously meant to see her through the lens of discomfort in the forest. She is unstable, and there is an uncomfortable close up with a large shot length. We were asked to marinate in unease for at least three minutes while we look at her.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://mrhartscinemastudies.greatestboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michelle Lyn Luna on Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:33 pm

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think I saw it: did you notice when Glasha saw the bodies, and after shrieking, Florya tried to look back to her? In his running, he turned to her. And in response to that, Glasha turned him back, to face forward, as though trying to make sure he didn't see the bodies? That very well could have been her trying to protect him from that sight.
I don't really feel like they fully trust each other, but have that kind of 'I'll trust you as much as I need to survive' type of trust. So we can agree that there may be some form of strange, mutual desire to protect the other in their relationship? That's all I feel I can accurately conclude. I really like that idea of her protecting his innocence as a surrogate for her own. That's very interesting to me.
I'm also fond of that idea that Glasha's variation in attitude and action toward Florya is a result of her not truly understanding various forms of love. That makes her strange behavior make a bit more sense (not much, but certainly a bit).

Michelle Lyn Luna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum